You may think that deteriorating eyesight is a natural consequence of getting older, but there’s good news. The Age-related Eye Disease Study revealed that eating certain foods that contain specific nutrients can reduce the risk of age-related decline in your vision by up to 25%.
Those nutrients that are proven to boost eye health include zinc, copper, vitamin C, vitamin E, beta-carotene, omega-3 fatty acids, zeaxanthin, and lutein. You may be thinking, “How in the world am I going to get all those nutrients?”
Fortunately, it’s easier than it sounds. Eating a healthy diet that includes lots of fruits, vegetables, and lean protein is usually all you need to get the nutrients to protect your eye health.
Consider including some of the following foods into your New Year’s diet for better eyesight:
- Fish – Tuna, salmon, trout, mackerel, sardines, anchovies, and herring are especially high in omega-3s.
- Nuts, Legumes & Seeds – Also high in omega-3s, walnuts, Brazil nuts, cashews, peanuts, lentils, and seeds (chia, flax, and hemp) also contain lots of vitamin E.
- Citrus Fruits – Oranges, lemons, and grapefruits are rich in vitamin C which helps fight age-related eye damage.
- Leafy Greens – Greens like spinach, kale and collards are rich in lutein, zeaxanthin, and vitamin C.
- Carrots & Sweet Potatoes – Orange vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes are high in beta-carotene. Carrots also are high in vitamin A, while sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin E.
- Beef – Beef is rich in zinc which has been linked to helping delay age-related macular degeneration and other retinal issues.
- Eggs – Eggs are an eggcellent source of eye-friendly nutrients including lutein, zeaxanthin, vitamins C and E, and zinc.
Finally, be sure that you are drinking plenty of water, as staying properly hydrated can keep the eyes lubricated and help prevent dry eye symptoms. Eating a healthy diet and drinking lots of water can do a lot to keep your eyes healthy and in return being able to see clearly.
Come See Us!
Tyson Eye is regarded as one of the premier eye care centers in Southwest Florida. Our surgeons and doctors have helped thousands of people enjoy better vision and have consistently introduced break-through technology to the area. We are committed to excellence by delivering modern technology with old fashioned concern.
We’re here to help you see better! Call us at 239-542-2020 today or request an appointment.