Hot summer temperatures can not only make us sweaty and uncomfortable, but they can also impact our eye health and vision. Here are some ways that you can protect your eyes from the heat and other summer perils.
Hot Weather Eye Issues:
1. Dry Eyes
Soaring temperatures can cause the tear film on your eyes to dry more quickly, causing dry eye symptoms like itchiness, redness, irritation, burning and watering.
2. UV Damage
Temporary exposure to bright sunlight/UV radiation can inflame your corneas and cause red eyes, a burning sensation or gritty feeling, sensitivity to light and increased tear production. Over time, however, UV radiation has been shown to increase your risk of developing cataracts, retinal damage, macular degeneration, and even Pterygia (visible growths on the eyes.)
3. Eye Allergies
Eye allergies often have similar symptoms to dry eye and are more common in the summer months, due to more pollen, dust, and pollutants in the air.
4. Chlorine Irritation
While it can feel refreshing to take a dip in the pool on a hot day, be aware that too much chlorine in the water can also dehydrate and irritate your eyes, causing redness, stinging, and even temporary blurriness.
5. Eye Injury
The risk of eye injury goes up during the summer due to more outdoor activities and sports, dangers from mowing the lawn or working outside, and of course, the risk of injury that comes with fireworks.
Healthy Eye Tips for Beating the Heat:
- Always wear sunglasses when outdoors and choose lenses that offer 100% UVA/UVB protection.
- Wear goggles when swimming to protect your eyes from chlorine.
- Consider taking antihistamines if you have allergies and limit your time outdoors.
- Regularly use lubricating eye drops to address dry eye symptoms. If eye drops alone don’t resolve your symptoms, see your eye doctor.
- Wear protective eyewear when playing sports or working outside.
- Be sure your whole family follows Firework Eye Safety Tips.
Trust Tyson Eye
When it comes to protecting your eyes, Tyson Eye is regarded as one of the premier eye care centers in Southwest Florida. Our surgeons and doctors have helped thousands of people enjoy better vision and have consistently introduced break-through technology to the area. Tyson Eye is committed to excellence by delivering modern technology with old fashioned concern.
You can trust us with to help protect your vision and to keep you seeing your best. Contact us to request an appointment today or call 239-542-2020.